We've developed a system called Content Lock to help prevent under 18s from accessing unmoderated and 18-rated material.
It's one of the industry's most advanced filtering tools and we sell all our mobile phones, USB modems and data cards with Content Lock already applied, free of charge.
What material does it block?
Content Lock prevents access to 18-rated material and unmoderated content from the internet and t-zones (our download portal) as well as third party shortcodes.
18-rated material means content involving:
- Visual material of a sexual nature
- Adult only content
Content Lock also prevents access to unmoderated content which means:
- Social networking sites
- User generated content
- Chat rooms
In most cases, unmoderated content is completely harmless but Content Lock blocks it because there's a chance under 18s may see inappropriate images or receive unwanted contact.
How to remove Content Lock
If you're over 18, you can remove Content Lock in 2 minutes - we just need your credit card details or name and address so we can verify your age (it won't cost you anything).
You can confirm your age by:
- Trying to access a blocked site and entering your details when asked
- Dialling 1818 from your T-Mobile phone and following the prompts
If you're a pay monthly customer, you can remove Content Lock online in My T-Mobile in 3 easy steps:
- Sign up or log in to My T-Mobile (it's free and only takes a few minutes)
- Select 'Phone'
- Select 'Removed' under 'Content Lock' and click 'Set'
Voila! You've now got access to the whole internet
Tip: Don't worry about providing your details because we'll only use the information you give us to confirm your age.
When you use your credit card to confirm your age we'll take £2 and then give it straight back to you. 'Content Lock Removed' - will appear on your credit card statement to help protect you from fraud.
How to apply Content Lock
Simply call 1818 and follow the voice prompts.
If you're a pay monthly customer, you can quickly apply Content Lock or find out if it's switched on by:
- Signing up or log in to My T-Mobile (it's free and only takes a few minutes)
- Selecting 'Phone'
- Selecting 'Applied' under 'Content Lock' and clicking 'Set'
- Content Lock acts to scope and block access to those picture messaging, WAP, web and video short codes services provided by T-Mobile or 3rd parties, which contain 18-rated, unmoderated or illegal content. Content Lock won't identify or block any content contained in private messages sent between individuals.
- Due to the nature of web and WAP services, we're unable to warrant that Content Lock will block access to all services containing 18-rated or illegal content.
- T-Mobile classifies unmoderated content such as social networking sites, user generated content and chat rooms, and 18-rated services such as gambling, dating, some games, excessive violence and sexually explicit material to be inappropriate for young people. Please note that we may include additional content, or change our policy as to what's considered 18-rated, or unmoderated, content without notice. You should also be aware that you may still find certain content offensive which has not been 18-rated.
- Subscribers must be over 18 to remove the Content Lock service. The account holder must ensure that Content Lock is reactivated if the mobile is going to be used by any person under 18 years of age.